Have you ever worn yourself out trying to whip egg whites to firm peaks with a wire whisk? If you have, then you have probably wished that you had a mixer to do the job for you. A remedy for your mixing problem is a hand mixer, but selecting the best hand mixer can be something of a challenge, so we’re here to help with a short buyer’s guide and a review of hand mixers which you can compare to find the one which suits you best.
How to Choose the Best Hand Mixer
Since there tends to be a pretty wide selection available, sorting through hand mixers to find the best one for your needs takes a little bit of understanding in order to find the right one. Let’s examine some of the benefits to be had from hand mixers, how they are used and some of the features and characteristics to look for.
What are the benefits of a hand mixer?
Stirring up a cake batter or whipping cream using a wire whisk or a wooden spoon can wear you out and be pretty time consuming to boot. In fact, cooking that way can become pretty discouraging. Mixer can help to make cooking a bit more appealing.
Bench Mixers vs. Hand Mixers
There are essentially two types of electric mixers available: bench style mixers and hand mixers. Knowing the difference between these two types of mixers can help you determine which type you need. Let’s make a quick comparison of the two.
• Bench style mixers typically set out on your cabinet on a stand ready to be used at any moment. These mixers tend to be more expensive, but they also tend to be superior when it comes to longevity as well. Bench style mixers work better for thicker batters, like bread dough, or batters that need to be beaten for a period longer than 3 minutes.
• Hand mixers are lighter weight and are typically stored in your cabinets or pantry. These mixers usually cost much less than half the price of a bench style mixer. They are quick, light, portable and easy to use. However, their motors are not typically designed for heavy duty mixing of thick batters or batters that need to mixed for longer than 3 minutes.
In essence, being more economical to purchase as well as being lighter and portable are advantages of using a hand mixer over a bench style mixer. In addition, hand mixers save you time and effort over mixing by hand with a spoon or a whisk.
What is the best way to use hand mixers?
As mentioned, hand mixers work best for lighter batters, whipping and whisking. Thicker batters and longer periods of time will burn up the smaller motor in a hand mixer. In addition, because you typically have to move the mixer around in the bowl the whole time that you are using it, longer periods of use tend to cause your hand and wrist to get tired. The following video has some excellent tips for using a hand mixer.
What features and characteristics should you look for in the best hand mixer?
When choosing the best hand mixer, you will want to look for certain features and characteristics in the highest quality available for the price that you pay in order to get the best value. Here are six features to take into consideration when comparing various models of hand mixers.
Quality materials in the construction of your hand mixer will help to determine how long it will last. Hard plastic polymers and metal parts in areas that see the most action, like where the beaters are inserted are signs of higher quality mixers. In addition, true stainless steel beaters, not cheaper coated metals tend to have greater longevity as well.
The design of the unit can make a big difference when you are trying to hold onto the mixer while you’re working. The mixer needs to be well balanced in your hand, its handle needs to be easy to grip and hold onto and its controls need to be located in an easy to reach location.
Because hand mixers are used without any sort of stand or support, their weight is supported by your arm strength. Supporting that weight for several minutes can be difficult for some individuals, so it is important to take the weight of the unit into consideration as well.
4. Motor Size
The stand mixers tend to have more powerful motors in order to mix thicker batter and dough, hand mixers do not require as much power. In addition, the size of the motor can increase the weight of the unit. A hand mixer motor should be between 200 and 250 watts to function properly without being too weighty.
5. Speed Adjustment
Speed adjustments are a must on any mixer because various stages of mixing require different speeds. At minimum, most hand mixers have low, medium and high settings. More advanced mixers tend to add two or three more speed variations as well.
Hand mixers tend to come with at least one set of beaters, which are typically the type that is most frequently used for most tasks. Hand mixers with additional attachments for whipping and other functions allow you more versatility with your mixer and increase its value.
Additional Considerations for Choosing the Best Hand Mixer
Though all hand mixers tend to offer similar basic features and variations on those features, there are additional considerations to keep in mind when choosing the hand mixer which best suits you.
Though hand mixers don’t tend to sit out on the counter the way bench mixers do, color is sometimes important to different users for various reasons. It is nice to be able to select a color that fits your personality and décor.
Budget and Value
Hand mixers can range anywhere from about $20 to $200. Your budget may support a higher priced mixer, but that mixer needs to provide the very best features and benefits to justify the price. On the other end of the spectrum, you might not be able to spend a lot on your mixer, but even on the lower end, be sure that you’re getting what you need so that your hard earned money is well spent.
Warranties and Guarantees
While speaking of budget and value, you should also keep warranties and guarantees in mind. Mixers that are likely to have better longevity tend to have longer term warranties and guarantees attached to them.
The Top 5 Hand Mixers Reviewed
The hand mixer of the future has already arrived in the Breville BHM800SIL Handy Mix Scraper. This is a digital speed adjustment mixer with scrapers built into the beaters. The digital speed adjustment has sensors which help to adjust the speed of the mixer for no fail accuracy. In addition to the scraper beaters, this mixer comes with dough hooks and whisks as well. All of the options you will ever need a contained in its storage base for handy access.
• Digital speed control sensor gives no fail accuracy to mixing.
• 240 watt DC motor gives plenty of power for thicker batter and dough.
• Scraper style beaters reduce the clanging and clanking noise.
• Additional whisk and dough hook attachments are included in handy storage base.
• Count up timer for precision mixing time.
• Mixing light helps makes it easier to see what you’re doing.
• Speed scrolling wheel allows for finer speed adjustment right at the tip of your thumb.
• Includes a 1 year limited warranty.
• Inserting mixing accessories (beaters, whisks, dough hooks) requires them to be placed perfectly in order to stay in.
• Can get a little bit too aggressive and splatter batter and dough.
• Expensive $$$
A Great Choice If...
You want a bit more precision from your mixer, like the additional digital control and your budget can handle purchasing this unit. You might not be as happy with this unit if you are tech challenged or are less concerned about precision mixing.
Cuisinart is a trusted brand name in mixers and kitchen equipment and their HM-90BCS Power Advantage Plus measures up to that standard. This is a user friendly mixer with three low start speeds to prevent splattering. It comes with 9 speed adjustments with a digital readout and easy to reach control. It also comes with a storage stand that includes beaters, a wire whisk and dough hooks.
• Simple on/off button with three low starting speeds and 9 speed adjustments.
• One touch speed control for greater convenience.
• 220 watts of power is enough to handle typical hand mixer tasks.
• Storage stand comes with additional accessories.
• Somewhat Expensive $$-$$$
• 3 year limited warranty.
• The motor on the Cuisinart is AC, which means that it has reduced longevity compared to a DC motor.
• This unit is a little bit heavier than most hand mixers.
• The ejection button for the beaters is in an awkward location.
A Great Choice If...
You want a simple, user friendly and quality mixer without all of the high tech options. You won’t be as happy with this unit if you use your mixer with a great deal of frequency because its motor might not handle the work load.
Speed, safety and multifunction versatility are all combined in the KichenAid KHM7210CU Digital Hand Mixer. You will be impressed by the simplicity and functionality of this unit with its soft start feature, locking swivel cord, easy ejection and digital speed control functions. It also includes the Tubo Beater II and Pro Whisk for versatility.
• The soft start feature makes for safer operation.
• Seven speed adjustments allow for plenty of variation in batter thickness with digital readouts.
• Better balanced a lighter weight for easier handling and safety.
• Soft grip handle for more safety and comfort during use.
• Shape helps you to get at your batter from a wider variety of angles.
• Quick and easy release of accessories with single push of a button.
• Somewhat Affordable $$
• 1 year full manufacturer’s warranty.
• 150 watts of DC power is a little underpowered for heavier mixing.
• Does not come with dough hook or storage stand.
• Speeds are a little bit lower than other mixers.
A Great Choice If...
You tend to use your mixer for lighter duty tasks like whipping, whisking and lighter batter. You will feel that this unit is a little bit underpowered when you want to mix heavier dough.
The motor on the Suliko Stainless Steel Mixer raises the standard of innovation for hand mixers. To begin with the housing of this mixer is made of stainless steel making it a bit more durable than your typical plastic and polycarbonate types. Its design allows for better air flow through the motor housing in order to keep the 200 watt motor cooler during operation. This mixer comes with a handy stand that will hold the mixer, the beaters and the dough hooks.
• Convenient stand for easy storage of the mixer and accessories.
• Better airflow through motor housing and copper core motor provides extended life to the motor of this unit.
• Stainless steel beaters and dough hooks prevent the possibility of corrosion and fouling of food.
• Five speed variations for better control at the tip of your thumb.
• Turbo boost function adds another 50 watts of power to mixing jobs when you need it most.
• Easily located and convenient accessories ejection button.
• Light weight and well-balanced feel to make handling the mixer less taxing.
• Affordable $
• Includes a 1 year warranty.
• Lower number of speed variations can limit its usage for some applications.
• Does not include whisking accessories.
• A particular beater or dough hook has to go in a specific hole in order for this to work properly.
A Great Choice If...
You are on a budget, but still want to purchase a high quality, workman-like mixer that is apt to last a very long time. If you expect more gadgets and accessories on your, you will want to look elsewhere.
You will be shocked at the power and performance built into the Aicok Hand Mixer. For a budget priced unit, this mixer delivers an enormous among of power in a light weight package. This mixer is made of durable stainless steel and includes stainless steel beaters and dough hooks as well. There are six speed adjustments, a turbo button and an easy ejection button on this unit as well.
• High powered 250 watt DC motor for better power and greater longevity.
• The motor is contained in a stainless steel housing for greater durability.
• Includes beaters and dough hooks for more versatile mixing.
• It includes six speed adjustments right at the tip of your thumb as well as a turbo boost button for a little extra power when you need it.
• Its accessory ejection button is easy to find and quickly releases beaters or hooks.
• Very Affordable $
• 2 year warranty is also included with this mixer.
• It does not have a storage stand, bag or other means of keeping the accessories with the mixer.
• It does not include the accessory for whisking.
• Does not have the low speed starting options others have.
A Great Choice If...
You are looking for an honest, durable mixer and you are on a budget. You will be a little bit unimpressed by the lack of storage and versatility of this mixer if you desire more precision or are a more frequent user.
When it comes to choosing the best hand mixer, there are plenty of features and characteristics to keep in mind. Making use of our hand mixer review as well as the buying guide, you should be able to compare the various aspects you are looking for in a hand mixer in order to select the mixer that fits your needs. For our purposes, the top mixer in our hand mixer review is the Breville BHM800SIL Handy Mix Scraper Hand Mixer.
Breville’s Handy Mix Scraper not only has the power and durability to perform, but it offers better control and versatility while you use it. It comes with all of the accessories you might need, and all of them, along with the mixer are easy to store. The digital sensing options and timer are added features which provide greater precision for mixing and bring this mixer into a modern age without sacrificing the basic functions of a hand mixer.
Your personal preferences, budget and other factors might lead you in a different direction than our selected choice, however, with our review of hand mixers and buying guide you should be able to make a well-qualified decision when you purchase your next mixer.
If you found this review helpful, check out our review of the Best Immersion Blenders!